HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire, Helen Nellis, appointed seven cadets from uniformed youth organisations for 2020/2021 at a ceremony held virtually online.
The Lord-Lieutenant’s Cadets are the finest of the many talented young people in the Cadet Forces and Emergency Services within Bedfordshire. They are excellent leaders and a credit to their organisations and to the county. Their role is to support the Lord-Lieutenant in carrying out her duties as The Queen’s representative in the county. Their selection and appointment acknowledges their outstanding contribution to their Cadet service and to the community.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting lack of opportunities for Lord-Lieutenant Cadets, the Lord-Lieutenant extended the appointment for six of her Cadets from 2019/2020 and commissioned Cadet Warrant Officer Abby Bierton from Bedfordshire & Cambridgeshire Air Training Corps (Flitwick Squadron).
This year’s Cadets are:
- Petty Officer Cadet Elisabeth Allison (Flitwick& Ampthill Sea Cadets)
- Cadet Warrant Officer Abby Bierton (Bedfordshire & Cambridgeshire ATC)
- Cadet Colour Sergeant Leah Flores (Beds & Herts Army Cadet Force)
- Police Cadet Connor Fossey (Bedfordshire Police)
- Fire Cadet Ryan Harper (Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service)
- Cadet Sergeant Harilaos Karavaggelis (Bedford School Combined Cadet Force)
- Leading Cadet Kate Travers (St John Ambulance)
Speaking after the commissioning, the Lord-Lieutenant said “It is a genuine privilege to work alongside some of the finest young people in Bedfordshire and I would like to thank the dedicated volunteers who devote so much time to helping to develop our cadets. I am delighted to welcome CWO Bierton to my team of Lord-Lieutenant Cadets who have already impressed me with their commitment, maturity and professionalism when supporting me at key events in the County prior to the pandemic. I am looking forward to continuing to work with the Cadets and hope that they have an exciting year ahead.”